Minutes October 22, 2017
Framingham Democratic Town Committee
Heritage Senior Living 747 Water St. Framingham, MA 01701
Meeting Minutes – Sunday, October 22, 2017 at 5:30 PM
Call to Order: Chair Beverly Hugo called the meeting to order at 5:34 PM.
– Jeanne Bullock recently fell and broke her arm; a get-well card is circulating, so please sign. Clearly, we will need an interim Hospitality Chair for the next few meetings until Jeanne regains use of her arm. – We are also seeking a Minority Outreach Chair as our current chair is no longer able to attend meetings on Sunday evenings.
– We will be electing at least one new member of the FDTC in November.
– Beverly requested a moment of silence for Devin Suau, the 6 year-old Framingham boy who died last Friday.
- Attendance: Members: Chris Broyles, Carmen Chico, Jerry Desilets, Jack Duffy, Maureen Dunne, Patrick Dunne, Linda Fields, Adam Freudberg, Beverly Hugo, Michael Hugo, Barbara LeDuc, Chris Lorant, Tom Mahoney, Kathie McCarthy, Cindy Rubin, Margareth Shepard, Norma Shulman, Cheryl Tully Stoll, Parwez Wahid, Rep. Chris Walsh, Mel Warshaw. Lifetime Members: Betty Muto, Phil Ottaviani, John Stefanini. Associate Members: Robert Case, Barbara Fontes, Kurt Fusaris, Cheryl Gordon, Rosamond Hooper-Hamersley, Ann Jeffris, Ohad Klopman, Dave Magnani, Nancy Marchand, Ray Marchand, Amanda Northrup, Vanessa Pendexter, Maria Duaime Robinson, Amanda Shepard, Yvonne Spicer, Adam Steiner, Larry Stoodt, Erica Toochin, Joel Winett. Guests: Noval Alexander, Karyn Bernstein, Sue Bernstein, Tim Brainerd, Deborah Butler, Mike Cannon, Kevin Delaney, Geoff Epstein, Mary Kate Feeney, Dennis Giombetti, Cheryl Goldstein, George King, William LaBarge, Bill Lynch, Joe Norton, Melvin Poindexter, Tina Poindexter, Pam Richardson, John B Rivera, Mike Rossi, Dhruba Sen, Ghafoor Sheik, Charlie Sisitsky, Cassidy Slamin, Carol Tomassini, Nadia Ullman, Tim Wadland.
- September 17, 2017 Minutes: Secretary Barbara LeDuc Approved unanimously.
Members are reminded that attendance is now being taken using the lanyards. Please wear yours during the meeting & return it before you leave.
- Treasurer’s Report: Treasurer Margareth Shepard Approved unanimously
A total income of $252.24 and expenses of 101.93 increased the 9-17-2017 balance of $2,790.10 to $2,940.41. Annual dues are now being collected.
- News from the State House. Rep. Chris Walsh commends everyone who is attending the Candidates’ Forum tonight, as the transition to a city government is very important. A fuller discussion of pending legislation can take place in November.
- Subcommittee reports:
Mike Hugo: Communications Subcommittee
Mike noted that the new website should be up and running by Wednesday on GoDaddy. Tonight’s Forum is being streamed live. N. Shulman made a motion (seconded by K. McCarthy) to approve the expenditure of up to $250 to pay for the three year licensure. The motion passed unanimously. (Transfer of the domain name cost $92.09.)
Civics Education Subcommittee
The Subcommittee has met once in October. Ohad Klopman, chair of the Framingham High School student democrats attended. The two group seek to merge their efforts as “The City We Want”, working to increase voter turnout.
Kurt Fusaris: Legislative & Advocacy Subcommittee
The Subcommittee is considering the Wes Kleinert Law, Ranked Choice Voting, Charter School reforms, and a Civics Education bill already in the pipeline (Bill H2022).
- The Charities for the November and December meetings: will be holiday gifts for the children of the Pathways and Pearl Street shelters. Bev will get more information about the number and ages of the children. The FDTC was extremely geneous to the shelter children last year, and provided many wonderful gifts! Members should be pleased with themselves!
- Beverly expressed her thanks to Chris Lorant for his help in preparing for this Forum. Parwez noted that he recently attended a democratic party conference which discussed voting by Associate Members; he believes the By-Law committee might want to examine possible future changes. Mike replied he will convene the By-Law committee, and added that there are other potential topics as well, e.g. youth members. All business being concluded, the business meeting was adjourned at 6:01 PM.Respectfully submitted,
Barbara LeDuc, Secretary