Framingham Democratic Committee
Framingham Green Community Room
136 Maynard Rd., Framingham, MA 01701
Meeting Minutes – Sunday, November 3, 2019
Welcome, Announcements and Updates: Chair Beverly Hugo, 7:00 PM
School Committee Candidates Forum – Co-sponsored by MetroWest Daily News and FDC, Facebook live (School Committee Candidate’s Forum only, remainder of meeting not broadcast).
Co-moderators– Anne Brennan, Editor in Chief, MetroWest Daily News; Jake Oliveira, Ludlow, MA; Past President, MA Assoc. of School Committees; Member, Bd. of Directors, Nat’l School Boards Assoc.
Format – Policy;
- Key Issues:
- Racial equity audit – Ms. Smart: Need the department to complete and administer report; Mr. Wadland: We need to revisit school choice; Mr. Hansen: re-evaluate school choice, lack of balance, diverse faculty should look more like the students they are teaching; Mr. LaBarge: racial issue, “examine our hearts.” Mr. Wadland & Ms. Barnhill agree, provide mentors for faculty and staff.
- Funding bill – Ms. Barnhill: we have a good start at funding universal pre-k, early ed makes a positive impact; Mr. Hansen: need to implement pre-k, and enhance special ed.
- Bus service – Ms. Smart: Decide between privatized or in house; Durham gives bad service, explore options, excessive number of buses late (76). Mr. Hansen: Move toward in-house bus service and look into current bus contracts. Mr. Baritz: the issue is a combination of school choice and poor performing buses; Ms. Barnhill: kids are spending too much time on buses
- Balance work/school com./family – Ms. Smart: teaching requires a full commitment; Mr. Wadland & Hansen must make work flexible; Ms. Barnhill: this is my life’s work and I am a single mom and have to balance.
- Student Achievement – Ms. Smart: need to expand our support programs; Mr. Baritz: we need to examine what’s taught in each school and make all schools equal; Mr. Wadland: we have to reframe how we look at student achievement, need a more consistent evaluation tool; Ms. Barnhill, once again, we need to look into pre-school); Mr. Hansen: education should not be dependent upon family income, all students, regardless of where they live or go to school should have access to high quality pre-k; Mr. LaBarge: need to expand programs like Hoops & Homework, and offer even more after school support.
- Collaboration – Ms. Smart more collaboration across the board is best for stakeholders; Mr. Wadland: teachers and administrators need to focus on end goal; Ms. Barnhill: teachers do better with a team attitude; Mr. Hansen: It all comes down to relationships, aiming for a common goal(despite differences), and trust; Mr. LaBarge, collaboration among faculty is better for the school.
- Transgender issues –Ms. Barnhill: Set an example of leadership. We need more inclusive teacher training; Mr. Hansen identify students at issue early and give them supports and services as needed; Mr. LaBarge: what was missing from my experience as a gay male was tolerance on the part of teachers; Mr. Baritz, I always say treat others as you want to be treated; Ms. Smart: there is a need for mandates to assure equal treatment.
Call to Order: Chair, Beverly Hugo called the FDC meeting to order at 8:45 PM
MetroWest Organizing Corps 2020 – update. Sen. David Magnani: Major fundraiser for major donors ($50+) to be held on December 20, 2019, 5:30-7:30 PM at the home of Sen. Pres. Karen Spilka, host. Goal – raise $70,000; May send/bring a check or go to the Act Blue link. Flyers available and distributed.
- Members: Lori Bornstein, Jeanne Bullock, Robert Case, Carmen Chico, Jack Duffy, Barbara J. Fontes, Adam Freudberg, Gwendolyn Holbrow, Rosamond Hooper-Hamersley, Beverly Hugo, Michael Hugo, Barbara LeDuc, Christopher Lorant, Tom Mahoney, Kathie McCarthy, Farooq Mirza, Amanda Northrop, Joan Rastani, Rep. Maria D. Robinson, Cindy Rubin, Norma Shulman, Jim Stockless, Larry Stoodt, Cheryl Tully-Stoll, Mel Warshaw.
- Lifetime Members: Linda Fields.
- Associate Members: Tracey Bryant, Rob Floyd, Jim Hansen, Doug Lawrence, Priscila Sousa, Cesar Stewart-Morales, Joel Winett.
- Elected/Appointed & Candidate Gov’t Official: , Scott Wadland.
- Guests: Mario Alvarez, Jessica Barnhill, Andrea Blumer, Irwin Blumer, William LaBarge, Andrew Machkaer, Sarah McKeon, Gloria Pascual, Leslie Smart, Jeffrey Stewart-Morales, Lucy Tannen.
Reports: Capitol Hill: None
State House: Rep. Maria D. Robinson – The Student Opportunities Act, a major education funding bill – passed, to conference committee; Vaping bill is up for a vote during the week of 11/4/19, transportation revenue will be discussed before Thanksgiving. Rep. Jack Patrick Lewis – ill.
Secretary’s Report: Business Meeting Minutes 10/20/19, M. Hugo, Acting Secretary. Motion to accept L. Fields; second K. McCarthy – unanimously passed.
Treasurer’s Report: Larry Stoodt – November 3, 2019
Balance as of May 19, 2019 $4,578.01
Dues 9/13/19$ 55.00
Previous Balance & Income $4,633.01
Total Expenses for month$ 0.00
BALANCE AS OF 10/30/2019 $4,633.01
Dues Pd: Cheryl Tully-Stoll, Joan Rastani, Kathleen McCarthy
Motion to accept K. McCarthy, second R. Floyd, passed unanimously
Subcommittee Reports, discussions, actions & votes:
- Communications – M. Hugo – posts on Facebook less than cordial; have attempted to schedule two meetings but members had conflicts; voted 6-0 to remove all comments on Facebook Group, no comments between now and the election on the Framingham Democrats Facebook Group – Motion to accept K. McCarthy, second N. Shulman; 19 in favor, 2 oppose, 3 abstain. Passes. Un-enrolled voters may join the FB Group if they are active in campaign work on side of the Dems which are: 1. Name/address, 2. Registered Democrat, what activities have you done, (if they have contributed to our work in a significant manner, we can waive this) 3. why an interest to be on our facebook. Original motion B. LeDuc, second K. McCarthy. Motion to accept C. Tully-Stoll, second K. McCarthy – for purpose of discussion. Question was called from the floor. Motion to table this vote until January meeting by Mr. Stefanini. Not recognized as improperly made motion and was out of order. Mr. Desilets attempted to resuscitate the Motion to Table but was not recognized, as he, too, was out of order inasmuch as there was an open vote in progress on the underlying motion. Motion Passes 21 to approve, 1 opposed, 0 abstained, 2 not voting.
- Civics Education – Dr. Dunne has stepped down from his position as convener. Appointment of convener. Report within the next week. Appointment deferred until January meeting.
- Hospitality – Thank you to Amanda Northrop. Need for help, takeover responsibility; if interested, see B. Hugo.
- Legislative – No report.
- Programming & Charity – R. Hooper-Hamersley – collecting for Daniel’s Table. December – toys (age/gender)
- Environmental/Climate Change – L. Stoodt, with Rep. Maria D. Robinson; need money & volunteers.
State Convention. December 14, 2019, will hold a training for delegates for 2020 – Framingham Public Library, 10:30–12 noon.
FDC Membership Ballot Grouping – submitted timely to City Clerk.
B. Hugo: December – sign up for hospitality. Best of luck in elections, GOTV – make voices heard.
Motion to adjourn – K. McCarthy, second C. Tully-Stoll. Unanimously passed.
FDC meeting adjourned at 9:04 PM
Barbara J. Fontes, Secretary