Framingham Democratic Town Committee
Framingham Green 136 Maynard Road, Framingham, MA 01701
Meeting Minutes – Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 11:30 AM
Mayoral Forum and Luncheon
Call to Order: Chair Beverly Hugo called the meeting to order at 11:34 AM.
Starting today, attendance will be taken using the new badges on lanyards. Attending members will pick up their badges upon entering, and return them to a special basket at the conclusion of the meeting.
2. Attendance: Members: Lori Bornstein, Chris Broyles, Jeanne Bullock, Carmen Chico, Jerry Desilets, Jack Duffy, Patrick Dunne, Adam Freudberg, Beverly Hugo, Michael Hugo, Barbara LeDuc, Jack Lewis, Chris Lorant, Kathie McCarthy, Stephanie Mercandetti, Joan Rastani, Cindy Rubin, Margareth Shepard, Norma Shulman, Cheryl Tully Stoll, Mel Warshaw. Lifetime Members: Phil Ottaviani, John Stefanini. Associate Members: Robert Case, Barbara Fontes, Kurt Fusaris, Cheryl Gordon, Gwendolyn Holbrow, Rosamond Hooper-Hamersley, Ohad Klopman, Nancy Marchand, Ray Marchand, Pam Roberts, Maria Duaime Robinson, Amanda Shepard, Adam Steiner. Guests: Mike Cannon, Keith Delaney, Victor Kross, Pam Richardson, Mike Rossi, Selena Santiago, Emily Scruton, Yvonne Spicer, Dhruba Sen, Priscilla Sousa, Mark Tilden, Nadia Ullman, Joel Winett.
3. June 21, 2017 Minutes: Secretary Barbara LeDuc Approved unanimously.
4. Treasurer’s Report: Treasurer Margareth Shepard Approved unanimously
A total income of $565.75 and expenses of 688.22 decreased the 6-11-2017 balance of $2,912.57 to $2,790.10. Annual dues are now being accepted.
5. Subcommittee reports:
Mike Hugo: Communications Subcommittee
Mike called for a round of applause for Gwen Holbrook and the new FDTC website, which is now running. Next, the Subcommittee will begin updating our social media.
Kurt Fusaris: Legislative & Advocacy Subcommittee
The Subcommittee met and discussed the Wes Kleinert Law, Ranked Choice Voting progress, and Charter School Law reforms.
Pat Dunne: Civics Education Subcommittee
Pat thanked Barbara Fontes and Rozzie Hooper-Hamersley for their draft of topics. The next meeting will be Oct. 13 or before. The Subcommittee is interested in identifying younger people interested in Framingham elections. Pat announced Framingham State University is hosting Constitution Day tomorrow. All are welcome!
6. Report from the State House: Rep. Jack Lewis
Things are getting back to normal after the recess. Please let Carmine, Jack or Chris know if members are interested in a particular subject or bill. Jack will be delighted to visit with members & accompany members to hearings if he knows you are coming. Jack’s official office & phone: 24 Beacon St. Rm. 443, Boston, MA 02133; 617-722-2460; Jack.Lewis@mahouse.gov.
The House has passed 60 overrides of Gov. Baker’s budget items since last Wednesday.
7. Special thank you to Jeanne Bullock, Hospitality Chair, from Beverly.
8. Thanks to all who brought items for Pathways Shelter. They are in continual need for personal care items & non-perishable food. We collected a large donation tonight.
9. Beverly read the list of candidates for City Council and School Committee, and introduced the candidates who were present. There will be a City Candidates Night for these candidates in October.
All business being concluded, the business meeting was adjourned at 11:58 AM.
Barbara LeDuc, Secretary
Our next meeting will be the Candidates Night on October 22 at the Heritage, 747 Water St. Framingham from 5 to 9PM.
The meeting was followed by a Forum for the Democratic candidates for Mayor of Framingham. The following mayoral candidates were in attendance.
After a two minute opening statement, questions were posed to the candidates by Beverly Hugo, Chair. The questions had been submitted previously to Beverly by FDTC members. The same questions were presented to all candidates.